I probably lost all of my 7 loyal readers, and I don’t blame a single one of ya’ll. I jumped on here, told you I got laid off, posted some wisdom (*cough cough*) on couponing and saving money and then I was gone. For a month. In the blog-sphere that’s enough to cripple any long standing blog, let alone a new one like mine. So an update is in order and it’s going to be long so grab a glass of wine. Actually, you better make it two glasses.
- I’m still unemployed. I’ve had some phone interviews, went to a job fair, and impressed an owner, but to date they have all left me in my current state – in PJs with 3 day old dirty hair. Not even kidding. #sorryimnotsorry.
- FirefighterDad started working at a new fire department. And not just ANY fire department but the fire department that serves our community! This was huge for FirefighterDad and even though it meant a smaller department that is trying to get their
crapstuff together and a pay cut, he’s serving his community. The department is understaffed so most firefighters are working 48 on, 24 off versus the usually 24 Hr shifts, but hey overtime! And the fact that a station is all of 0.00000364 seconds from our house means we get to eat dinner with FFD!
- I know I’ve been silent on the baby front and it hasn’t been intentional, promise. Baby Boy is looking great! He’s moving, growing and doing all he should be. The challenge is my bitchy uterus. Basically she loathes being pregnant. She’s revolting. My cervix was consistently shortening (red flag one), I was experiencing abdominal tightening and cramping (red flag two) and by 18 weeks extreme pelvic pressure reared its ugly head (red flag three). We put this all together and it means at 23 weeks 5 days I was 50% effaced and 2cm. Cue in the “oh shits”. So naturally this landed me in Labor and Delivery where I was reacquainted with my old friend (insert sarcasm) Magnesium Sulfate. This is the devil’s invention, delivered through IV (seriously these are worse than labor! I know I can’t be the only one who thinks this) and makes you want to jump off a cliff. In the end, the hospital I was at had a level II NICU which means they take babies born at 32 weeks and older, not babies who might be born at the cusp of viability. So with mag coursing thru my veins, I got my first ever ambulance ride to a hospital downtown with a level III NICU, the highest there is, and I got a first class ticket to being admitted to L&D for the foreseeable future. The first 48 hours are always critical having gone through this with Diapers I kinda knew the drill. But what I didn’t know was if my contractions (coming every 2-5 minutes) was dilating me further. After tests and an internal exam I was stable – still 2. A long story short I stayed at 2cm 50% for 48 hours and mag sulfate was stopped and oral meds were started. I then got moved to ante partum where I was on hospital bed rest with an immediate goal of 28 weeks. Survivablilty at 28 weeks is on the order of 80+% as opposed to the 40% or less at 23+5. So I sat and ate and waited. 5 days later, not having progressed any further I was released to go home on bed rest!! I was really suprised to go home but after 5 days with no progression and my fetal fibronectin test coming back negative I had a greater than 99% chance of NOT delivering in the next two weeks. So home I went which brings me to number 4.
- When I ended up in the hospital all I could say to my family was “It’s not good.” Next thing I know my mom takes a flight out the next morning and says she will land at 9:30 am. Having her here is a huge relief because when you already have a child and a spouse that works 24 to 48 hours at time, you kinda need a place and a responsible adult to watch your child, get him from school, feed him and put him to bed. All praise Grandmas! So here I sit, on the couch with my mom picking up the slack as I cook this little baby. Yesterday I hit 26 weeks and that seemed SO far away when I was first in the hospital. I’m on 4 medications, being seen weekly, and just waiting. 28 weeks will be a great celebration. Then I aim for 30 weeks, then 32, etc. and during it all I am preparing myself for another NICU stay because it’s not realistic to consider me going full term.
- Diapers will be 4 years old (FOUR!) in 10 days ya’ll. How did my teeny tiny baby turn 4?! We have big plans to have a small birthday celebration at the firehouse with cake, fire trucks, sirens, and firefighters. It will be great.
- My dearest friends are throwing my a baby shower next week. What once was scheduled for May has been moved up because they are sweethearts and they are bringing the party to me so I can sit and chill and they are doing it ALL! Invites, food, drinks, decorations, set up, and clean up. For this introverted mama, I’m a bit anxious about it, but I’m so lucky to have such great friends who are supporting me and want to celebrate this Baby Boy as much as I do!
These are the highlights of the last 4ish weeks and I promise to come back frequently with random ramblings, baby updates, and bed rest progression.
Now, tell me what’s been going on with you?!😊